14 Comments

1. Sandra Neary
    September 1, 2015 @ 6:33 am

I am astonished and humbled that I inspired an artist like yourself! The concept of a lifetime of learning is what I was struggling to talk about. And now I see another side to it – what if we become “famous”, known for a particular media, style, etc.? How easy it would be to get “trapped” by that!

Sandra

• Liz Walker
      September 1, 2015 @ 12:06 pm

Hi Peggy,

Good post—very good follow up to Sandra Neary’s earlier blog post. As to Sandra’s comment about being “trapped” in a particular style (becoming famous for it), I refer everyone to a column by the late Robert Genn entitled “Choose Your Rut Wisely” (I’m sure you can look it up on the Painter’s Keys website). The trick I think is to keep learning, and keep growing/changing your style of painting. Being known for one style can indeed be a trap if an artist isn’t careful!

• Peggy Stermer-Cox
        September 2, 2015 @ 1:08 pm

Hi Liz, Thank you for your comment. On the one hand, I can not imagine ever being able to investigate everything you can learn about one style or approach to creating art. On the other hand, sometimes the impulse to learn something different is too deep to ignore. Another thing I think about is “evolution”. We learn, grow, evolve and then perhaps, the different styles merge to form our own concept. Or something.

I think I read the letter you speak of, though I couldn’t find it.

• Peggy Stermer-Cox
      September 2, 2015 @ 12:57 pm

Hi Sandra, You have much to offer; I don’t think its a surprise that your thoughts are inspiring! I sometimes have a fear about being trapped into one style, though I was just thinking that may be pre-mature. I am still find so much to learn. Did you see the NWWS article on Judy Morris in their June newsletter? Your comment reminded me of the article. What struck me was how much she has evolved and matured over the years. Yet, she has stayed pretty much in the same genre.

The thought of being famous makes me smile. I think of it as a double edged sword. 🙂

2. Ruth
    September 1, 2015 @ 11:22 am

Peggy, I am glad you posted this, and hope you’ll post the others! Your voice is important to the discourse. I’m enjoying watching your explorations of a more traditional approach, and love to see that as successful as you are, you are open to being a life-long learner. Kudos 🙂

• Peggy Stermer-Cox
      September 2, 2015 @ 12:59 pm

Hi Ruth, thanks for the comment. Isn’t creating art an exciting journey? The more I learn, the more I’m humbled and the more I’m open to learning more. Perhaps its a search for excellence…just thinking! Thanks!

3. Ethel Forsberg
    September 1, 2015 @ 11:55 am

Dear Peggy?
    I love your attitude in relation to life and learning. I try to do it the same way. Remember our high school days. And your skillful father. And everyone else in your beautiful family.
    Creative processes and techniques are so interesting to learn from. Thank you for letting us taket part./Ethel

• Peggy Stermer-Cox
      September 2, 2015 @ 1:00 pm

Hi Ethel! Its wonderful to hear from you. I just noticed that you have a website. WONDERFUL! I do remember high school and the work that you did. I’m glad to see you are continuing your artistic work! I love you watercolor paintings!

4. Ethel Forsberg
    September 1, 2015 @ 11:56 am

So sorry for the question mark!!
    Love,
    Ethel

• Peggy Stermer-Cox
      September 2, 2015 @ 1:01 pm

Thank you Ethel, it made me smile! Your ability to communicate in English is superb; my Swedish is not up to your par! 🙂

5. Karen Kreamer
    September 3, 2015 @ 7:11 am

Hi Peggy,
    Thank you so much for this post! I have a similar history to yours. I was interested in creating art at a very early age, and wanted to be an artist. With no support from my family to pursue my “hobby”, I got an education in a medical support profession. I worked for forty years in this profession and liked it. I continued to draw, and over thirty years ago started taking watercolor classes. Workshops, university art classes and community college classes have followed. Now that I have retired, I paint as much as I can, working on my “brush miles” as one professor put it, still learning, and hoping I have many years ahead in order to practice my art.
    Wishing you continued joy and success in your art journey,
    Karen

• Peggy Stermer-Cox
      September 3, 2015 @ 6:18 pm

Hi Karen! Thank you for sharing your story! Where might I see your paintings? I’d love to! Thank you for your kind wishes and I hope you experience the same joy!

6. Elizabeth Merchant
    September 3, 2015 @ 8:18 pm

Regarding – Education of an artist – you inspire others that you may never meet. As the net is a technical marvel that is leveling the educational choke point world-wide … between not knowing and knowing … that the artist is not alone.

• Peggy Stermer-Cox
      September 4, 2015 @ 6:10 pm

Thank you for your comment Elizabeth! Speaking of inspiration, I took a look at your website, Focus, Point, Shape. I was impressed. I looked at some of your articles. I’ll be back!

I appreciate your insight about the net as technical marvel – it is amazing to be in touch with people from around the globe.

Again, thank you!