9 Comments

1. Sandra Neary
    April 24, 2014 @ 6:21 pm

Very nice story, Margaret; two things jumped to mind when you asked your questions. First that the artist is always in the painting, and second that the color orange in this painting feels very natural to me, reminiscent of desert air and sunshine. If I were to color desert air, I’d likely choose orange. He’s given greens and blues to the living things in the painting and orange to the energy of the place, the air and sunlight surrounding. It’s a lovely painting!

• Peggy Stermer-Cox
      April 25, 2014 @ 5:15 am

Thank you Sandra for your thoughtful insights! I think my Father would enjoy your comments and be pleased!

2. Pam Huggins
    April 25, 2014 @ 10:45 pm

Hi Peggy,
    I made it to your new blog site! Yay!
    This direction you have taken of late is just fabulous. I love your story telling and hearing about your relationship to your dad and his relationship to art. So many levels here that add such depth and distinction to your art as well.
    I simply LOVE this painting of owls. The orange is beautiful. I did not realize owls memorize their prey’s movements. That is fascinating. I suspect your dad did attribute the color orange to the owl’s intelligence.
    I really enjoyed your analysis and can see you studying these works of art and trying to discern the meaning behind them. I see your careful consideration in your own art. Your art is distinctly you, influenced by your dad but so different too.
    Wow Peggy! You’ve taken a huge leap forward. I need to read back through your other entries.
    Thank you for sharing.

• Peggy Stermer-Cox
      April 26, 2014 @ 12:57 am

OMG Pam, I just imagined that the owls were memorizing their prey’s movements. OOOPS; its just the odd way I think and imagine! Though, owls being owls, perhaps they do remember movements…?

I hadn’t realized that you had yet to see my new blog. I am a little bit behind on letting people know I changed address. I wanted to make sure this version didn’t crash! I had an earlier version that crashed and burned. My husband had to rebuild it. There was something wrong with how it was transferred from servers. He was trying something and it didn’t work. I think this one will be fine.

Thank you for the compliments! I just have to keep it up!

3. Pam Huggins
    April 26, 2014 @ 12:47 pm

Peggy- I’m going with they do memorize their prey’s movements! My cats certainly do and owls are probably smarter.
    Yay Peggy!

4. Mary Paquet
    April 26, 2014 @ 5:28 pm

What a terrific painting, Peggy, and I see your Dad’s influence on your work. He certainly was a very accomplished artist, and it appears that people continue to collect his art. I love your memories and they give so much meaning to the work. Great blog!

• Peggy Stermer-Cox
      April 29, 2014 @ 12:58 am

Thank you Mary and thank you for the compliment! I naturally have strong feelings about my Dad’s paintings and those feelings helped shape my own ideas. It’s fun sharing my story about Dad’s work and I’m glad you enjoyed it!

5. S
    August 15, 2018 @ 6:05 am

Bove was my mentor….my heart. ♥️RIP you salty Master

• Peggy
      August 15, 2018 @ 11:54 am

Hi Zjanart! You studied with Doc Bové – how wonderful! I thoroughly enjoyed taking a workshop from him way back when. Again, thank you!